US DEPARTMENT OF STATE 1999 – 2005
Political-Military Bureau, Washington, D.C., 2003-2005
- Led political-military crisis response teams to coordinate with the Department of Defense and allies deploying international forces to monitor and stabilize security crises in Liberia, Haiti and the Sudan. (Superior Honor Award, 2004)
American Embassy, London, 2000-2003
- Supervised a 20-person team to manage the U.S. Government’s $1 billion commercial and residential property portfolio in London, Belfast, and Edinburgh. (Meritorious Honor Award, 2003)
American Embassy, Djibouti, 1999-2000
- Supervised a local staff of 100 to manage all embassy human and financial resources and building operations at this hardship post in the Horn of Africa.
- Also served as Acting Consul for Djibouti and Northern Somalia.
Midwife, Dallas and Kerrville, Texas, 1991-Present
- Midwife with private home birth midwifery services; helped establish professional standards, training and certification for midwifery in Texas (1991-1999). Women’s rights activist.
- Consultant and Contributing Midwife, Opening the Way – Support for Pregnancy and Childbirth, The Monroe Institute, 1992 – 98.
- Author, Birth – Wild and Sacred, a book on the art and science of the Natural Birth Process and Feminine Power (2018).
Real Estate Developer and Sustainable Living Innovator, 1980-Present
- Restored historical homes in the Swiss Avenue Historic District in Dallas, Texas.
- Developed, leased, and managed family-held office buildings, travel centers, and retail centers in the Texas Hill Country.
- Land Steward for Yanaguana Spiritual Sanctuary (www.yanaguana.org)
- Founder, Exit 505 Farmers Market in Kerrville, Texas. Local food activist.
PREVIOUS DEPARTMENT OF STATE ASSIGNMENTS, 1973-1980
- Staff Member, National Security Council, The White House, 1980
- Economics Officer, Regional Economic Policy, Latin American Bureau, 1978-80;
- Personnel and Procurement Officer, U.S. Embassy, Seoul, 1975-1977.
- Projects Officer, Executive Office of the Secretary of State, 1973-75.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Master of Public Administration, George Washington University, 1973.
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, University of Texas, Austin, 1971.
- Six-Month Professional Course in Economics, Foreign Service Institute, 1977.
- Pre-Med Studies, Dallas Community Colleges, 1985-1996.
- Certified Professional Midwife, North American Registry of Midwives, 1996. Apprenticed with Barbara Cook at Family Centered Maternity Care, Dallas, Texas 1990-91.
- Level II Amrit Yoga Teacher, 2007.
- Non-Violent Communication Training, Center for Non-Violent Communication, 2007.